Well, here’s another healthy recipe from the folks at POM Wonderful – Pomegranate Relish to use as a holiday party appetizer topping. The recipe is by celebrity chef Suzanne Goin who owns Lucques, A.O.C. and Tavern Restaurants in Los Angeles. I had the honor of meeting her at Frigidaire’s Talking Turkey event earlier this year. Chef Goin was super nice to us bloggers and very much down to earth.
What I like about Chef Goin’s cooking is that it’s filled with wonderful flavors and is easy to replicate at home. She’s a mom and understands that most of us want to make something that tastes delicious and looks elegant, but we don’t have the luxury of spending hours in the kitchen making it.
Easy party pomegranate appetizers
Above you can see that Chef Goin’s Pomegranate Relish is served on a slice of French bread with a thin wedge of melted cheese. Yum! However, If you want to health it up a bit – and are gluten free – smear low fat cream cheese on a rice cracker and then add a dollop of the relish. If calories aren’t an issue, try spreadable goat cheese instead.
Holiday Pomegranate Relish Appetizer
- 1/2 cup arils from 1 large POM Wonderful Pomegranate
- 1 tablespoon pomegranate molasses*
- 3 tablespoons finely diced shallots
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon sliced flat-leaf parsley
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Score 1 fresh pomegranate and place in a bowl of water. Break open the pomegranate under water to free the arils (seed sacs). The arils will sink to the bottom of the bowl and the membrane will float to the top. Sieve and put the arils in a separate bowl. Reserve 1/2 cup of the arils from fruit and set aside. (Refrigerate or freeze remaining arils for another use.)
- Place the shallots, lemon juice and 1/4 teaspoon salt in a small bowl and let sit 5 minutes.
- Whisk in the pomegranate molasses* and then the olive oil. Stir in the fresh pomegranate arils and the parsley. Taste for balance and seasoning.
- * To make pomegranate molasses, combine 3 cups of POM Wonderful 100% Pomegranate Juice, 1/4 cup sugar and juice from one lemon and bring to a simmer. Reduce until a very thick syrup forms that can thickly coat the back of a spoon, then cool to room temperature.
- Serving size: 44 g
- Calories: 30
- Calories from Fat: 0g
- Total Fat: 0g
- Saturated fat: 0g
- Unsaturated fat: 0g
- Sodium: 95mg
- Total Carbohydrates: 7g
- Sugar: 2g
- Fiber: 1g
- Protein: 1g
- Cholesterol: omg
Picture and recipe courtesy of POM Wonderful.